Monday, March 18, 2013

The $19.85 Dresser Challenge - The Before Pic

I've been hunting around over the past few weeks for a small bureau to place inside the guest bedroom closet.

For health reasons, I've been actively avoiding melamine and other formaldehyde-releasing substances, but really didn't want to shell out for solid wood when it would only get used infrequently. I also didn't want anything too "precious" since the 1930s-40s bureau and nightstand already in the room are just "old stuff", certainly not future antiques.

Nothing was quite right.. until now (if you ignore the existing "princess" paint job.)

This $4.99 Goodwill find is structurally sound, but I really bought it for the retro drawer pulls and knobs. This promises to be my first opportunity to use the "mouse" sander Darren bought me last year. (Nothing like a woman who wants power tools for her b-day!)

I'll be repainting the "carcass" white ($8.48 for a quart of Rustoleum "Painter's Touch" high-gloss latex paint at the Big Orange national home improvement chain). The drawers will alternate light aqua and apple green acrylic ($3.19 each bottle at national crafts chain), to match the guest room's color scheme.

I hope to complete the project over the coming weekend. Stay tuned to see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment